Total Pageviews

Tuesday 1 February 2011

Top judge says young can't listen!

According to the BBC, a top English judge recently claimed that young people may not be reliable jurors as they don't have the same level of listening skills as older generations.

Here's a link to a quick test based on that BBC story (although, I agree with one of the comments at the end that the test's a bit flawed): http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7715868.stm

I find it a bit ironic that a top judge accuses young people of poor listening skills. Top judges are just the kind of folk who end up in the House of Lords - a place full of, amongst others, retired judges popping off to sleep during other people's speeches.!

Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Yes, the test is flawed as by the time you take the second test you've had the evidence twice...
    I scored a poor 3/5 first time round and 5/5 second. But it's true that I am better at 'ordering' written info. Incidentally, I have managed to get out of jury duty 3 times now and won't have a choice next time so I'll need to hone those listening skills! As for young people's lack of listening skills? Might as well blame it on electronic games and the demise of family meals round a table. Oh and the junkfood kids are fed. Anyone care to add to list?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are excellent comments. I agree with your points re electronic games, and interestingly, one of my coleagues feels equally as strongly as you on that point and is using that premise as a starting point for some project work with her new class. Thanks, Mark

    ReplyDelete