Total Pageviews

Tuesday 8 February 2011

Listening assessment - does PP force us to think and speak in different ways?

Hi all,

As always, I'm on the hunt for some feedback! I'm interested to know your thoughts on the Word of Mouth programme that we listened to today for our first listening assessment (of two).

Maybe you agree with some of the points raised by the experts, perhaps you feel PowerPoint is an unhelpful aid to speaking, do you think PP has (had) a damaging effect on the art of public speaking?

Interestingly, it could certainly be argued that many of the great orators and keynote presentations over the last hundred years or so were delivered without any visual aids of any description. That said, when you log in to the TED website, often some of the more illuminating talks tend to use a variety of visuals (but not always).

When I first learned the art of oral presentation delivery at University some twenty years ago, visuals to anchor the spoken word generally came in the form of OHPs / acetates. I remember in my final year at University giving a wrap up presentation on my dissertation 'Music as Communication' and I was making reference to two high profile theorists - Wolfgang Iser and Stanley Fish. To my horror, I realised that I had spelled the latter as 'Fisher' and despite me having prepared the talk some weeks before and looked at my slides scores of times, I just hadn't noticed the error! Fortunately I had time to get to a design shop in Morningside to rework the slide and delivered the talk as I had intended. But I never forgot the importance of that lesson.

One thing is for sure in this WOM Programme, there are a lot of interesting arguments offered by a variety of different analysts and could provide the basis for some further discussion.

So, over to you, the floor (cyberwise) is yours...

3 comments:

  1. I can see the points made throughout the programme, but as with so many things it is all about what we make of it. I have to agree with Mr. Microsoft sales rep that pptx is just a blank canvas after all.

    Personally I like using it, as it is a good tool, especially for visualizing (obviously - I mean pictures, graphs and the like). But I would not freak out if the projector blows and pptx leaves me in the dark. Plus, it creates an aura of professionalism when there is none. A lot of people fall for that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really interesting words Christian. I was chatting with Leigham on Tuesday and he was discussing the possibility of organising a karaoke PowerPoint evening at the end of term. Do you (we, the class) think this could be a winner? One to consider I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leigham must be a glutton for punishment!

    The PowerPoint programme was very interesting and,on reflection, I think the medium is overused nowadays. It seems people think that if they have some impressive looking slides, the content of their presentation will be more authorative and valid. Smoke and mirrors I say!
    Ofcourse, there is a place for PP, it's just not 'a one size fits all',and,as we learned from the programme, best to be avoided altogether when doing a briefing on safety issues!

    ReplyDelete