Total Pageviews

Monday 2 May 2011

Final Thoughts


Well, here I am penning my last post of this blog for the class. It’s been an intense and, I hope, educational year for all of us (we learn too, you know!) Please read my words and I would be so grateful if you could add some words of your own. You may not wish to write as much as I have or follow the same cyclical structure, but your comments would be appreciated all the same, good, bad or indifferent.

We (lecturers) should, I believe, always be prepared to do the tasks which we ask students to do. So, in that spirit, I aim, right here and right now, to write my own reflections and evaluation of the year.
Structure is (arguably) the most important aspect of anything concerning Communication, so here is how I have put my words together:

- Introduction – motivation and expectations
- Positive experiences
- How my course could be improved
- Evaluation of my own performance
- Conclusion – what I have learned

Mark's Reflective Words

So, to start, what was my motivation and expectations at the beginning of the year? (Ah yes, the old, trusty question to get a written piece kick-started). Well, beside my big, fat salary(!), my motivation was, as always, to create a supportive but challenging learning environment to allow students to develop. That all sounds a bit woolly but I suppose that’s what teaching is for me. Sometimes the word “teach” is too blunt an instrument for my liking.

My expectation was that I would be working with a group of able and interesting students who would be ready for a challenge. I wasn’t wrong. This was my first year teaching on this Access course at Stevenson, so I was, in a sense, new as well. Not to teaching, not to Communication, not even to the Unit, but to a cohort of this nature. I think we were all up for the challenge and, although, tough at times, I am certain we all learned a great deal along the way.

It’s impossible to predict how a class will gel, but from very early on it was clear that you all worked and, importantly, learned very well together. This intra-class dynamic is crucial to the development of a positive learning environment - it was always a pleasure to walk into your class.

This brings me to my positive experiences. To be honest, the positive experiences are really too numerous to mention. One of the most fundamental factors in teaching, I think, is developing positive relationships with learners. I feel that I was lucky in developing such relationships with each and every one of the class. So, my primary positive experience is the sum of all these relationships. I also feel that the yearbook we put together was an amazing journey. I was editor, time manager, encourager, photography assistant, liaison officer with the DTP crew, you name it and boy was the result a cracker! I really hope you enjoyed the experience and the end product. Next year's group has a great deal to live up to, make no mistake about that.

But what about improvements? (By the way, I hope you are all paying attention to my paragraphing and signposting). We always need to be aware of how things could be improved. So what about improvements in things that I have control of (and this segues into the evaluation of my own performance)? Well, that’s trickier as it requires a degree of self-criticism.

I suppose I’m asking myself "would I do anything different?" Well, I think I might time or pace assessments in a different way next year. I was very conscious of the amount of assessments that you needed to get through this year. I made a conscious effort to space the assessments out, but maybe I would have done both reading together, both listening together and so on. The reason I didn't was to avoid lots of assessments at the one time but I am happy to be led by your individual comments on the assessment pattern.

Deadlines. I have no doubt that I will be getting first drafts and remediated work in from some students right up to the final knocking, which on a personal level, does annoy me a little, certainly a raised eyebrow... Should I have failed every student who didn’t make the deadlines I set? Hmmm, perhaps, but is that the spirit of FE? However, what I can note is that having taught and managed undergraduate and postgraduate courses at university, I know without a shadow of a doubt that universities will be stricter on making deadlines. Maybe I need to go on about that even more next year. (Already I can see the rolling-eyes of students I haven’t yet met). Joking aside though, meeting deadlines is an important part of all aspects of life.

So, what have I learned? Well, amongst other things I’ve learned how to make bubble gum, about the AV system, Walt Disney, how to juggle, the burqua ban, Cosa Nostra, Michael Schumacher, how to make good porridge (or is that porage) - hey, you get my drift! I’ve also learned (or re-learned) that if we’re coasting along then we’re probably not learning a lot. But when we feel we are on the very edges of our comfort zone, then, possibly, we are learning. That’s what learning feels like. It’s not always a pleasant feeling at the time - but it seems worth the discomfort in retrospect. This is an important thing for us as lecturers to remember. We force students out of their comfort zone a lot. How often do we move out of ours?

I always like to think that one of my strengths as an educator is my time management and feedback skills. This takes a lot of time and effort to get right, so hopefully this is an area where you feel I have given you my very best attention. Oh, and a light peppering of humour never hurts either I was always feel!

I have spent a lot of time putting this blog together too and have really enjoyed the experience. I know (from a recent conversation some of us had in room 120) that not all members of the parish are keen bloggers, but that's OK, I'm fine with that, I like to be flexible with my thought processes!

Another way of self-evaluating for me as a lecturer is asking the simple question "what did my students learn?" One way of getting a measure of that is by asking you to comment on the blog, e mail me, fill in the end of unit questionnaires etc. and unless you're all lying, it seems that you all learned something along the way!

It was apparent from informal and formal mechanisms that the oral presentation delivery was the biggest fear for many students in the beginning. Oral presentation teaching is one of my passions of all the different areas of communication I teach, so it was refreshing to listen to so many amazing talks. The collegiate approach shown by you as a class, the expertise of the PP slides and the question and answer sessions were really entertaining at times. Hey, some of you even agreed to be filmed! I could never have imagined that Godzilla would have been the star of the unassessed presentations...

So, to finish (and I just love cyclical structures), let's go right back to a question we started with at the very beginning of our time together: what is the purpose of education and communication? No need to reply, but I wonder has anyone changed their mind on that one …

Take care,

Mr H

16 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read that blogger experienced some problems today with posts vanishing, they said it's fixed though...so maybe it will show up again...if not, I do it again. Promise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another attempt, don't ask me why!

    This is the second attempt and this time I write it in Word. Learning never stops, does it?
    I found your class both interesting and entertaining. You managed to bring the subject alive. In the beginning I was quite scared by “Communication and Oral Presentation Skills”, as you maybe can imagine it has a frightful ring to it, to a non-native speaker anyway. I wasn’t sure if I was going to be able to pass all the assessments after I have understood what the subject is all about. And pretty fast I should learn that I am perfectly capable of doing all those exercises and got more and more confident in dealing with tasks. I suppose this is one of the things I learned from your course; whatever the objective, whatever the topic, it is possible to tackle. And thanks to you I know that now.

    I liked the way you did structure the classes. If you say you might do it differently the coming year this must be due to reasons only a teacher understands, because I as a student can’t see how it could have been done any better. There was a lot to get through and never did I have the feeling of being overburdened by the load. It was neatly spread and at all times manageable. But then I like a challenge and I know some people want an easy ride. In the end it is up to you.

    I find it important that students learn how to get the best out of their classes above all. And this includes such little things like showing up on time. I am impressed by the way you immediately made it clear that being late was not something you take lightly. A shame you had to backtrack in the end, due to popular demand I suppose. It is a sign of respect; not only for you, but for fellow students as well. I reckon it is hard to communicate to the student that as a teacher your class is planned, more or less to meet deadlines and achieve certain goals, and that it is not a drop-in session. But I don’t need to tell you how being late affects everybody, not only the people not caring enough to show up on time or figuring out a way to manage their time. I call it the tyranny of the careless, which thrives on the diligence of people who do care (Believe me I am an expert, after all, there is a reason why I am doing this now, when I am 32). In any case your message came across to me clearly and it transcended into other classes and I was keen on not being late, I succeeded quite alright. It is possible, you know. Without it I might have taken it easy as well, after all I adapt too.

    What I got out of your class is confidence, and a lot of it. I now know it is perfectly possible to stand up in front of people and talk. Speak my mind in English. I am able to put my thoughts into words and while I was insecure about it all nine months ago, now it is different. There is no lack of self-esteem and this is due to your class. Maybe that is all what communication and OPS is about; to give people the confidence to put their opinions and views into word and letter and not be afraid to do it. I can truly say I am ready for university and this is to a large part due to you, Mark. You taught me that being late is not an option and that what I could do was a good position to develop my skills to feel good enough for university. And that is only the beginning...

    Thank you for a great year; I owe you a lot.

    Christian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your positive comments Christian. I am always particular about the importance of timekeeping, so I'm glad the message was delivered clearly and understood (without being heavy handed about it). I am also really glad that you have gained confidence by taking my units, as this is key too. Thank you so much for your response, it has brightened up an otehrwise dull Saturday evening sir! All the best, Mark

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard to believe our class of 2010-11 has come to an end. I, for one, feel a little nostalgic already.
    In September the Access to Languages Course stretched out in front of us and here we are, reminiscing ,or rather, reflecting, already.

    What did I expect from the Comms 4 class? To be honest, I wasn't too sure but I was excited about it and rearing to go. I enjoyed the atmosphere in the classes and found myself totally immersed in the various interpreting, reading, listening and presentation challenges.
    I remember in particular the news paper articles and Will Self's amusing piece on 'the Kindle'.
    Every lesson was always well prepared by you Mark and the course was nicely paced. I enjoyed the fact we could always follow everything on your blog and got plenty of warning about assessments, class changes etc. The TED talks were very good too and learning to formulate answers to the set questions has definitely improved my interpretive and communicative skills.

    The Power Point presentations were a particular highlight and learning how to do them will be a useful skill to have. Like everyone else, I didn't relish having to present a topic in front of the class but surprisingly, it really wasn't that bad and it got easier with practise. Useful too, to research topics on the internet and find illustrations. Quite good fun really. Learning from other students was another highlight. Not just through presentations, though they were an eye-opener, but through discussion and working together as well.

    The yearbook deserves a special mention. A delightful memory of our Stevenson year to re read occasionally. The result really was a cracker, so well done to Mark for organising it and doing most of the work to bring it all together. Well done too, getting all the reluctant bloggers to get their features in on time!

    I don't think I personally would change the format of the course. If it ain't broke, why fix it?
    Alternating assignments is probably quite good. It keeps things fresh and possibly gives students a chance to improve their weaker sides. It's been quite an achievement by all the lecturers, to keep such a diverse group so well together.

    I have loved this year and this particular class too. My own confidence has grown, I have learned to always dig that little bit deeper and try to convey my thoughts and opinions that little bit clearer. I have got to know some amazing people, learned to trust in and develop my abilities and have also been reminded of the importance of good spelling and sign posting.... AND I have a conditional for the course I am keen to do, so, the future is looking good.
    Thank you to all you supportive lecturers and fellow students!

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Ellen, these are very touching words. I'm glad you have enjoyed the classes as much as I have. Despite being an experienced teacher in the field of Communication, you never know what the class will be like and if it is a lion taming job for a year, time passes VERY slowly! Thankfully everybody in the class was up for learning, getting involved and engaging with the assessments (all 13 of them)! All the best and the best of luck to you for the future. Mark

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry this is late, I know you have a thing for time keeping, better late than never.

    I found this unit extremely satisfying, what seemed like a daunting unit to begin with quickly became one of the most enjoyable. At the beginning of the course I was getting work back to correct and improve and now I am glad to say that I havn't had to make any corrections lately.

    That is a testement to the structure and the logical progression of the unit. Also, of all the units that have run throughout the year I have finished this one first, not because it's the easiest but because of the way it was structured.

    Can't say much more and struggle to see the room for improvment.

    No point in change for the sake of change.

    Thanks

    Gavin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Gavin. In most cases the remediation has been diminished as the course has gone on. This is good news for me as it demonstrates that the learners have learned! Your comments are very helpful so thank you for taking the time out to type a few words. Best of luck for the future and go dazzle at Uni!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nitro MXS Moti Bhasma improves muscle Nitro MXS strength and promotes healthful bones. most of these herbs are mixed in right combination to remedy susceptible erection, low sperm count and occasional stamina or energy tiers. For more ==== >>>>>> http://www.healthsupreviews.com/nitro-mxs/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wedding cars performancealong side the airport switch service,a chauffeur is there, who takes you from the Wedding cars maximum efficient and shortest route towards your destination.Time saving: You do not want to face inside the line of taxis. The chauffeur drops you at the primary gate, as do not need to waste time within the parking regions also. www.limotransfers.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you love technology? If you have got set to mix your love of technology together with your coming up with and development, then it is a terribly frightening opt for best internet style and development institute. Your aim to become internet Web develolment in faisalabad designer and developer will lead several decisions. With several possibility and incalculable range of institutes, it's talent of person to become confused instead. during this state of affairs you want to have to be compelled to opt for AN ISO Certified and recognized internet style or development institute. you have got to invariably like a longtime and documented institute wherever you'll see your future bright. http://conceptscollege.com.pk

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our technicians are constantly prepared to help you and come up with a quote with a view to not make you rob the bank to have your mobile telephone repaired.iphone repair regina once you visit any of our mobile repair save you may be sure that you will leave a happy man or woman having your cellphone repaired a record time that doesn't make you wait the entire day at the store.http://mobileqcanada.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Initial of Eco Slim it just is sensible to speak regarding the foremost effective and longest lasting diet ever. You'll never believe this however this can be such a strong diet that when most individuals follow it they lose weight! Unfortunately it's Eco Slim Ervaringen foremost difficult to try and do furthermore. Eating a balanced diet and getting regular vigorous exercise is that the diet in question here. See more: >>>> http://maxrobustxtreme.nl/eco-slim-ervaringen/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Arctic Blast is an organic cutting-edge pain relief solution.
    For More Info,Read This

    ReplyDelete


  16. Aging brings lots of changes in our physical and mental functioning. As we get older, the ability recall memories, retaining and processing information declines. We easily get tired and stressed out. You also observe that the cognitive functioning of your brain reduces significantly and your brain power minimizes with the increasing age. Neural Fusion is the formula which is designed to restore your brain functioning and power. It enhances your cognitive skills and maximizes the overall functioning of your brain. Its increases the brain power and energy to process information faster and treats the issue of short term and long term memory loss. It provides your brain for optimal functioning and boosts the cognitive skills. Neural Fusion Review

    Neural Fusion Review – Does It Really Work? TRUTH REVEALED

    ReplyDelete